The Michener Art Museum is celebrating its 25th anniversary and you’re invited to the party. The celebration will be held Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
It will feature several activities, including tours, scavenger hunts, storytelling, art projects and more.
The day of free family festivities will be followed by an 80s Dance Party and karaoke at 8 p.m. Advance registration is required for the party. The cost to attend is $20 for members and $25 for nonmembers. Click here for details.
Here’s the lineup of events:
- Explore the museum with scavenger hunts, Museum Mystery Tours and guided gallery drawing activities.
- Create art in the studios while learning about landscapes, portraits and still life.
- Discover color, texture and pattern while creating handmade books, monoprints and collage.
- Storytelling in the Byers Gallery from 2:30 to 3:15 pm: “Playing with Stories to Build Imagination,” will be hosted by Ray Gray, a producer, performer, screenwriter, director, author and storyteller who has inspired national audiences for more than 31 years. Gray will use stories to involve his audience in the process of listening to and talking about stories to create an extemporaneous story.
- Cartooning Workshop in the Education Center from 3:30 to 4:30 pm: Join graphic designer and web illustrator Marc Faulk for a Cartoon Character Design Workshop. Participants will watch a demonstration of cartooning techniques, then use what they have learned to create an original cartoon character or superhero.
- Docent-led tours, gallery talks and “ask me” docents in the galleries throughout the day.
- Architectural walking tour of the Cultural District of Doylestown, including the stunning historic architecture of the Michener Art Museum, Mercer Museum and Bucks County Free Library. Led by architectural historian Ken Hinde. Call 215-340-9800 to reserve a spot for the 2 pm and 4 pm tours, which begin in the museum courtyard.
- Michener and Me: Hear stories about the Museum’s earlier days from Herman Silverman, Chairman Emeritus and one of the Museum founders, and about his unique relationship with James A. Michener. Mr. Silverman will also sign copies of Michener and Me available for purchase in the shop. 1 to 2 pm in the Edgar N. Putman Event Pavilion.
- Community Labyrinth walks: Walking a labyrinth can be a meditative experience. Learn about the Michener’s new Community Labyrinth on a walk led by labyrinth expert Connie Fenty. At 1 pm, Connie will share information about the history and mystery of the labyrinth and discuss various ways of walking the labyrinth. At 3 pm, Connie will demonstrate and discuss how she used the labyrinth in the elementary school where she taught. The labyrinth was painted on the playground and was an integral part of the school's conflict resolution program. Call 215-340-9800 to reserve a spot.
- Learn about the 25-year history of the Museum with a focus on its exhibitions, at an illustrated lecture by Brian H. Peterson, the Gerry and Marguerite Lenfest Chief Curator. The lecture will be from 2:30 to 3:30 pm in the Edgar N. Putman Event Pavilion.
- Enjoy musical presentations by area performing groups in the Edgar N. Putman Event Pavilion. At noon, the Central Bucks West Choir, under the direction of Joe Ohrt, will perform some favorites in honor of the Michener Art Museum's anniversary. At 4 pm, the Bucks County Country Gentlemen barbershop singers will perform.
- Reminisce and contribute your favorite Michener Memory by writing on our Memory Wall found in the Family Education Center.
- Make your vote count for The People’s Choice: Celebrating the Michener’s Top 25. Cast your vote on favorite works from the collection. The 25 works that receive the most votes will be exhibited February 8 through July 20, 2014. Stop by the voting panel or vote online through November 2013.