An estimated 1,200 runners and walkers will line up at Fonthill on Sunday for a 5k run in honor of those who died on Sept. 11 and in the war afterwards.
Begun in Doylestown in memory of late Marine Travis Manion, the 9/11 Heroes Run has now spread across the country and the world. About 50 runs are expected to be held this weekend at locations from San Diego to Boston; last year, a run even was held aboard the flight deck of the USS Hopper in the Persian Gulf.
Janet Manion started the foundation in honor of her son, Travis, who was killed in Iraq in 2007. Janet passed away earlier this year after battling cancer.
The run helps raise money to further the work of the foundation, which runs several programs to help wounded veterans, encourage leadership in young people, and more.
Half the proceeds from this year's race will go to the Travis Manion Foundation, and the other half to a veterans' or first responders' charity in the local communities where the races are held.
This year's races are expected to attract 75,000 to 100,000 runners, spectators and volunteers in nearly 50 locations, according to the Travis Manion Foundation.
Here's what you need to know about the Doylestown race:
Race staging area: Fonthill
Access: Enter via the Route 313/Swamp Road entrance to the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works.
Start and Finish lines: intersection of Belmont Court and East Court Street
Walk-in Registration and Packet Pickup:
- Location: The gym at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
- Friday, Sept. 7: 5 p.m.-8 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 8: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Race Day Schedule
10-12 p.m. Race Day registration at Fonthill
1:00 Opening Ceremony
1:45 Fun Run starts
2:00 5K Run starts
3-4:00 Prizes & music
- Travis Manion Foundation to Host 9/11 Heroes Run in Doylestown
- Come out to support 2012 Travis Manion 9/11 Heroes Run in Doylestown
- Keenan Motor Group is Proud to Sponsor This Year's 9/11 Heroes Run
- Community Leader Janet Manion Dies at 58
- Remembering 9/11 After a Decade of Rebuilding
- Hundreds Gather to Honor the Fallen at 9/11 Heroes Run
- Running for the Heroes